Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back at School

I feel so much more prepared this second year teaching as far as everyday routines, behavior management, and when I should teach what goes. (I actually spent quite a bit of time this summer planning out my year which I am so grateful I was smart enough to do.) It is very exciting to have a little experience under my belt.

BUT this year will still be far from easy. There are always things that come up to try a teacher's patience, flexibility, and smarts. My class this year is much different than last year's--which is good and bad. I'm in a bit of shock, actually, at the differences. I always knew it would be different, but I didn't realize how drastic a change it could be. The academic abilities of this year's group is much more spread out (K to 3rd or 4th grade in reading and math), which really will be a challenge that I'm excited to rise to but nervous about anyway. :) Two students try to get away without doing any work--something I honestly didn't really see last year. I was taken aback when that started on the first day of school, when most students are on their very best behavior. That's okay, because I don't expect that will last long (hopefully), because I won't make it easy for them not to do anything.

I just have to say, I never appreciated my teachers as much as I do now. I am constantly thinking about my students and spend a lot of time preparing lessons and praying. It is really such a rollercoaster ride--some days I loooove teaching, and sometimes I wonder why I chose such a difficult profession. Teaching is so hard but also so rewarding! I love seeing last year's students, and the students I student-taught the year before and see the smile on their face when they see me.

I just have to share one cute little experience. On Fridays we have Fun Friday where each third grade class matches with another class for a half hour of fun for those who are caught up in class and were well-behaved. (A few students may have to sit out due to problems during the week or missing work.) We alternate who's in charge. This week, I was in charge, so we did a little color-cut-and-glue project. So after school, I'm on my way to the office and the kids are streaming down the hallway to the buses. This little girl I don't know comes and gives me this big hug and says something like, "Bye, Mrs. Hiram!" Not knowing who she was, I took the safe route and told her with a big smile, "Have a great weekend!" The only thing I can figure is that she's in the other class that did Fun Friday with us and that she therefore likes me after having spent a half hour in my classroom. :) Cute.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I think Mrs. Hiram is pretty darn cute. =)

Tara and Dan said...

This year will be a breeze for you! I hear the first year is definitely the hardest. BUT you can tell the students already love you!